John Pigeau, Columnist
Date Published: Fri, 15 Nov 2013
John (or Johnny to many) is the author of the acclaimed novel The Nothing Waltz, the founder of the First Edition Reading Series and the former owner/creator of Backbeat Books & Music in Perth. He's amicable, easygoing, and fond of a good time. Urgent yet kind, he would like "in your pants" to replace "in bed" as the add-on to fortune cookie fortune "jokes" and he strongly believes Oswald was a patsy.
An Anne Tyler junkie and a U2 fanatic, his hobbies include angst, uncertainty, and golf. He dislikes guns, nuclear weapons, dental surgery, and last call. He adores funky hats. Quick with a joke, a student of compassion, his writing has garnered him comparisons to Raymond Carver and Nick Hornby; his looks, to George Clooney and Beetlejuice.
This year's goals: compete in first thumb war (win spectacularly!), master more than five chords on the guitar, and finish second novel, Speck. Currently his favourite word is "lousy." If possible, he would forever live in the late 1980's.
Jun 28 - Aug 30 Head Over Heels on the patio
Jun 29 - Aug 31 Weavers Unlimited Exhibit & Sale
Jul 1 - Aug 26 Rack 'N Tunes w/Shawn McCullough on the patio
Jul 16 Steve Marriner on the patio
Jul 17 Jon McLurg solo on the patio
Jul 18 Brea Lawrenson on the patio
Jul 18 - 25 The Flower Show art show
Jul 21 - Aug 2 Bloomfest Garden Art Show & Sale
Michael Pittman's "Hard, hard times"
Jul 24 Tom Savage on the patio
- Take a Quick Survey for The Hub!
- Barbora Balaban — Firmly Grounded, with Dirty Hands
- Virtual Celtfest: July 4 & 5
- Have a PerfectPICNIC in Smiths Falls Support Local Restaurants, Enjoy the Outdoors!
- Bloomfest Garden Art A Show and Sale at Whitehouse Perennials
- Beautiful Music Together: an interview with Jenny Whiteley and Joey Wright
- AGH Invites You to an Evening Gala at Home!
- Orchid Viewing a Go!
- The Live Music Scene is No Joke: an interview with Mike McCormick
- Waterway Photo Tour MVFN Celebrates National Canoe Day