Susie Osler, Columnist
Date Published: Fri, 15 Nov 2013
More than a decade ago Susie succumbed to the mysterious gravitational pull of Brooke Valley - a not-so-sleepy hamlet near the other hamlet of Maberly - and moved from Toronto to a farm.
Though not a farmer herself, her admiration and value for local growers who are working in various ways towards food sovereignty is reflected each month (she hopes) through the pages of theHumm's Local Flavour column.
Susie creates some of her own “local culture” in the form of unique ceramic objects, some of which are found at Almonte's newest gallery/shop The General and at The River Guild in Perth. She is founder and part of the team that organizes an ongoing open-air public art project called FIELDWORK, which is situated in one of her fields.
When not engaged in any of the above-mentioned enterprises, Susie may be found cultivating edible (to the eyes and stomach) landscapes around her house, whispering to her animals, watching birds or playing music with her partner, talking to people about local history, seeking spacious landscapes (of the earth and mind kind) to hang out in, and dreaming up other, sometimes hair-brained, projects to do.
Jun 28 - Oct 11 Head Over Heels on the patio
Jun 29 - Aug 31 Weavers Unlimited Exhibit & Sale
Jul 1 - Oct 8 Rack 'N Tunes w/Shawn McCullough on the patio
Michael Pittman's "Hard, hard times"
Aug 3 - 10 Eric Uren
Aug 11 Nolan Hubbard
Aug 13 - 20 Spencer Evans solo
Aug 14 Lonesome Ace Stringband
Aug 17 Spencer Scharf
- Colleen Gray — Indigenous Artist, Strong Woman, Good Human
- Scotland in the Yard Richard Gill’s 2020 Show,with Guest Artist Jack Stekelenburg
- MMLT Festival of the Wild Child Special Scavenger Hunt Edition for 2020!
- A COVID-19 Parents’ Guide to Wellness OR How to Keep your Sanity until “Back to School”… Whenever that Is
- Empty Bowls are Back!
- Lanark County Letters An Interview with Sarah Reside
- Ally Is a Verb
- AGH Run/Walk for Women’s Health — Virtual Version
- Seamus Cowan and The Cove Inn:Saving the Live Music Scene
- Bouffage A Beautiful Box of Fabulous Food